Monday, September 15, 2008

70x7

This was a sunday school lesson from a couple of weeks ago. I've thought about this a lot..It definately hits home for me.


Does anyone know the parable in the bible about forgiveness?

matthew 18:21-35

Peter asks Jesus about forgiveness.
In old testament times, it was custom for people to forgive 3 times. Anything over that, you're pretty much on your own...

So when Peter asks Jesus, "Lord, how many times could my brother sin against me and I forgive him? As many as 7 times?" (which was clearly more than the customary 3), the Lord answers him " I tell you, not as many as seven...but 70 times 7"

And Jesus begins to tell the parable:
A king wanted to settle accounts with his slaves. One owed 10,000 talents. (no idea what that would be in us money) The man had no way to pay it, so the king commanded that his wife,his children, and everything he owned would be sold to pay the debt. The man fell on his face before the king and said "be patient with me, and I will pay you everything!" So,the king, full of compassion released him and forgave his debt.

(we can compare this to our salvation-are you getting that?)

The slave, in turn, sought out someone who owed him. Someone who owed him 100 denarii. (that IS still money, right?) He said to him, "Pay what you Owe!", and the fellow slave fell before him, begging, "please be patient with me..I will pay you everything"..
He should have been willing to forgive this debt, considering he had just been forgiven a debt that could have cost him his entire family, everything he had, but was instead spared by a compassionate king..but He was NOT willing. He had no compassion. He threw the slave into prison until he could pay what he owed.

(yeah..I feel that guilt coming on too)

When the king hears this, he immediately summons him. He says to him "you wicked slave! I forgave you all that debt because you begged me. Shouldnt you also have had mercy onyour fellow slave, as I had mercy on you!?" and he threw the slave into prison.

"So my heavenly Father will aslo do to you if each of you does not forgive his brother from his heart."

(wow right?)

It's something that is so obvious, something so...common sense, yet we do this to people every single day.
Just to put this into perspective..
I have been babysitting some children because their father is in the military, and their mother ran off . This all happened at the beginning of the summer, so I have been watching them this long. I haven't been paid on time,ever, and I am no longer watching them because ...well, because the debt is way past due, and I need a reliable,steady income.
(does this sound selfish--cause, I have to admit..)

I think that some people need help. Lord knows I have needed help, and God has placed those in my life that thankfully are willing and able to help me..and those who are forgiving with me. I feel like I am being selfish. I mean, sure, there are extenuating circumstances..i.e. groceries, my stress level at having 6 children running through my house throwing things left and right, but when you really think about it..What if God was like that?

What if God were too stressed out,tired,busy,frustrated,UNFORGIVING to help us?

Thank you God, for not being like we are.

And thank you God for helping us even when we can't even comprehend something as simple as this parable in our daily lives.
Thank you for forgiving us 70 x 7 and infinitely..

No comments: