Saturday, March 28, 2009

where to begin...

There are so many things that have taken place that I'm not quite sure where to begin, but I feel like God has laid it on my heart to tell this story.

Tuesday March 17th started off like any other St Patrick's day here in savannah. The kids and Brian and I all loaded up to head downtown to the parade. The kids get out of school for st pat's day here, so we got down there bright and early.

While we were at the parade, I called mom or she called me, I cant remember which, and she told me that she was on her way to meet John ( my stepfather) at the hospital, that he was in a lot of pain with his arm.

A few hours later, mom was at the hospital still. I guess I assumed she would be home by then, after all, I figured he hurt it somehow, pulled a muscle; that type of thing. Mom couldn't talk, and her voice was a little distraught..

a few hours later I get a call that he may lose his arm. The doctors have deduced that it is an infection that has entered through a cut on his finger, and is in his blood stream, and they are trying to stop it from reaching his organs.

I have heard of things like this before, in more recent years, but NEVER had I thought that this is something that could happen to anyone I know.

By bedtime that night, They were doing surgery on his arm, to open it up to clean infection out.

The next morning, when I talked to mom she was clearly upset, and things were taking a turn for the worse, so I went to church like I normally do, except I had intentions of just telling Chip and Lisa that I was going to go ahead and go to TN to be with family.

Well, when Tara and I arrived at church, I spoke with Chip and Lisa and told them what was going on, and we all prayed together. As we ended our prayer, Chip says," Ok, lets get Nicki home". Drew ( our newest deacon) and Linda ( Drew's sweetheart wife) busted out their credit card and within 10 minutes I had a flight to TN and my Sunshine even gave me money for travels. I'm not kidding when I tell you that My church family is THE most wonderful church family in this world.

I arrived in TN at 8pm that night. It was a rough night. we cried, prayed, and held on to eachother, and by morning, God took papa john. I cant believe I'm even typing these words. How my heart just breaks for my mom, my jeanette, matthew, my kids..myself. It just doesnt seem possible.

I rode home with mom that day from the hospital. I've lost people in my life, but never had I driven home from the hospital..never. I cant even describe it, and I know everyone who had to drive home that morning from the hospital still remembers that same feeling..

I am going to skip the bulk of the memories from that weekend, because for one, it was a terrible heart breaking weekend, and two, it was filled with moments that are personal to my family.

And during that weekend, there were moments of pure joy; happiness in its simplest form, humorous moments, laughs through tears, and there were moments of uncontainable amazement at what God could do through such a hard time.

There were moments that mom and i shared, that we hadnt shared since i was young, and I will treasure them forever. There was a love and a strength that grew between all of our family, and i know that nothing can tear it apart. not even death can break the bonds we have to eachother, not because we are obligated, but because of our love for eachother.And, God knew. God knew that years down the road, when we all looked back on this terrible time, we would need those good memories to cling to.

My mom danced. She sang. She praised God even during this storm. She was so strong, so stoic,such a pillar of hope for us all. And through her tears, she gave all of herself, her sorrows, her hurt to God, and He carried her through..and she thanked Him. relentlessly.

My little brother became this beacon of strength for everyone, he became a man that I am so proud of, so thankful for. He spoke at his father's funeral. He spoke of God's love for us all, and he spoke of salvation.

My brother in law was the speaker for the service, and I am just so amazed at how he let God use him, to reach so many. At the end of the service, there was an altar call, and before we knew it, there were 30+ people huddled together, crying and praying..and two people were saved. SAVED.

Afterwards, papa john was laid to rest in the most beautiful spot. Jeanette picked a spot out, under a dogwood tree, overlooking the mountains, and I dont think there was a more perfect place. She picked that, the day after her father died, and the day before her 19th birthday.

Isnt it amazing that God leads us when we are in so much pain, we've forgotten we are even following still?

I am so glad that we can all take comfort in knowing that Papa John is in the presence of our Savior right now. He is seeing the face of the one who died for all of us, the one who sacrificed himself for those who reject Him, mock Him, turn from Him..and He is always waiting for us still. And nothing can separate us from His love.


No comments: